Park Of Ravalet Castle : Property of the Town of Cherbourg since 1935, the park, in its present state, is the creation of the Viscount René de Tocqueville (1834-1917), nephew to Alexis, author of ” Democracy in America ”.
From 1872, improvements to the entire site of 12 ha, dominated by its English layout, have created one of the most attractive gardens in Cotentin. Basins and ponds traversed by black swans; lawns; luxuriant trees; are admired by visitors. Elegant aviaries of rare birds contribute to the enchantment of the area. A huge greenhouse, one of the most spectacular of the 19th century preserved in Lower Normandy, shelters exotic plants and shrubs (palmtrees, banana plants, cacti, creepers...) installed around an artificial rock formation. In 1921, a magnificent artificial cascade several stories high, with torrents, attracted visitors. A forest, crossed by wide avenues, offers an agreable area for walking.
The modern electric installation permits the supply of water for the park and to provide brilliant flood-lighting of the château, the greenhouse, the grotto and the court of honour; a spectacle which never fails to attract many Sunday visitors. Illuminations even more sumptuous, with Bengal lights, floating lanterns, coloured lanterns everywhere, are offered on holidays such as Saint Jean Day. It's not surprising that Barbey d'Aurevilly was inspired by the property of the Ravelet for ” A Page of History ” Surface : 18 ha