The Orangery Garden is attached to the Palace of the Archbishops joined to the southern side of the Cathedral. Started in 1130, the Cathedral is considered to be the prototype of the great Gothic cathedrals.
The Orangery is located in the courtyard which on the north side is bounded by the Chapel of the Archbishop (18th Century), which closes off the courtyard of the Orangery by connecting the Henri II wing with the cathedral; to the west, the Henri II wing (16th Century) of the Palace of the Archbishops; to the south, the Archbishops Library (18th Century). This garden constitutes a major part of our garden heritage.
One can distinguish two strong themes intended to form a reference collection for botanical specimens and a collection of what are referred to as 'Orangery' plants. The whole ensemble could well be described as a scientific garden.
In the western part it is divided into squares of flower beds that have a theme changing each year. In the eastern section there are examples of familiar horticultural plants as seen in summer flowerbeds and which are maintained in cold greenhouses and are often referred to as Orangery plants.
The plants recently introduced, 3608 bedding plants of 164 classifications, displayed in this garden continue the theme.