Botanical Garden of Coutances - Coutances (50) - Manche - Normandy - France

Botanical Garden of Coutances Coutances - Manche (50) - Normandy - France

Botanical Garden of Coutances : In 1823, M. J.J. Quesnel de la Morinière bought the mansion and farm land which had belonged to the Poupinel Family until the Revolution.
In 1850, M. Quesnel de la Morinière bequeathed the property to the town of Coutances on the understanding that it should be used as a museum, and a garden for the pleasure and health (herbs were originally grown in the garden) of people.
In 1852, A.S. Minel a retired civil engineer and water colour artist, designed the plans : French symmetry mingled with Italiannate terraces, English-style copses, a maze and fountains. An obelisk commemorating the original donor was erected.
The garden was finished in 1855. It was a forerunner and model for gardens of the 19th century. In 1992, for its special qualities, it was registered in the national survey of Historic Monuments. Created in : 1852-1855
Surface : 21340 m2

  • Opening 2018 :
    For further information, consult the website above.
  • Visits :
    Unguided visits.
    Guided visits with previous booking , Duration of a guided visit : 1h15, Minimal number of persons for a guided visit : 20 .
    Access adapted for disabled persons.
  • Charges :
    Free.
  • Services :
    Picnic area, Public lavatory, Refreshment stall and sweet shop, Saloons to let, Lectures, Concerts, Marriage photos, Children's playground, Children's workshops, Pedagogical presentations, Dog not admitted.
  • Access :
    GPS (Lat x Long) : 49.047538000, -1.446896000